Learn how managing documents in SharePoint can help your business!
SharePoint is a multi-user document-sharing tool from Microsoft, which is designed to integrate seamlessly with Microsoft’s wider Office 365 software package and provide a highly customisable collaboration platform for local and remote teams.
As one of the most comprehensive and useful collaboration tools for businesses and organisations, SharePoint’s potential applications across virtually every type of industry are almost limitless-but if you’re not quite sure how to set up or use the software in the first place, you might not be able to use SharePoint to the best of its abilities.
The Excel Experts are expert SharePoint consultants. We are here to help you integrate and operate SharePoint for business into your operational collaborations to ensure that your workstreams and SharePoint lists run properly and efficiently.
Why Use Sharepoint?
SharePoint can help individuals and teams within your business or organisation to communicate and collaborate wherever they are across a range of Microsoft document types, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and OneNote.
It’s the ultimate document management system that can help you streamline your business processes and optimize the way you collaborate to get work done.
When you upload a file or document to SharePoint, approved team members can access and view them via their browser, using user-specific permissions to read, change and work on documents within the drive.
SharePoint administrators can set bespoke control options to allow team members to view, edit or create documents, enhancing collaborative efforts across various devices and physical locations.
Allow your team to view, work on, add and edit documents in real-time, with instant updates that the whole team can view, ensuring that every user sees and works with the latest data version, and avoiding duplicated tasks or outdated information.
SharePoint notifications can be used to cascade emails or workflows to group members when triggered by user edits or changes to documents, all within the remit of a tightly controlled and administrator-determined set of permissions to ensure that only chosen members of the team can view and/or make changes to any given document.
The Excel Experts provide support and guidance for organisations in setting up and using SharePoint as part of our full range of Excel services, helping you to ensure that your SharePoint collaborations just work-first time, every time-and remain private from those who should not be viewing them!
How To Manage Documents In Sharepoint?
SharePoint is designed to be highly customisable. How you use and manage your documents in SharePoint will largely depend on the type of organisation you have, the size of your team and the way you want to collaborate.
The main steps for managing documents in SharePoint include the following:
1. Setting up your SharePoint drive: Choose the appropriate document libraries, configure sharing settings and assign permissions to users.
2. Creating documents: Create any documents you want to store and share in SharePoint.
3. Uploading documents: Upload the files you want to work on to your SharePoint drive.
4. Sharing documents: Set up sharing settings (if necessary) and invite people to view or edit the document.
5. Working on documents: Make changes, add comments and keep track of the versions you have edited.
6. Notifying others: Send notifications to team members when document changes are made.
7. Archiving documents: Move documents you no longer need into a separate folder or library to keep your SharePoint Drive organised and up-to-date.
The Excel Experts can help you manage documents in SharePoint more effectively. We can provide advice, guidance and training on how to set up SharePoint so that managing documents is simpler and more efficient, helping you to collaborate with team members more effectively.
Document Management Processes
Document management processes can help you track changes and updates made to documents. Customised document process workflows in SharePoint will provide a step-by-step process for managing a document, including assigning tasks and managing notifications.
When managing documents in SharePoint, you can also set up document retention policies, which allow you to control how long documents can be accessed and stored in SharePoint before they are automatically removed.
This will help you to comply with relevant data regulations while also managing the storage capacity of your SharePoint drive.
By managing documents efficiently in SharePoint, you can reduce the potential for errors, provide better collaboration opportunities for team members and make managing document versions much easier.
How To Create Custom Workflows in SharePoint
Creating custom workflows in SharePoint can help streamline your document management processes. Customised workflow templates enable you to set up different document management processes, such as approvals or archiving.
You can also create conditional workflows so that certain tasks are only triggered when specific conditions are met. This can help you to automate some of the more mundane tasks associated with managing documents, freeing up your time for other projects.
The Excel Experts can help you create custom workflows in SharePoint to manage documents more efficiently and effectively. Contact us today to find out more.
Why SharePoint Is The Ultimate Document Management Solution
SharePoint is the ultimate document management solution for organisations of any size. It enables you to securely store and manage documents, collaborate with team members and comply with relevant data regulations.
The customisation features allow you to tailor SharePoint specifically for managing documents, making it easier to track changes, update documents and keep track of versions.
But what makes SharePoint document management stand out amongst similar document management systems?
Well, SharePoint also allows you to set up custom workflows and document processes to streamline managing documents. This not only saves you time but it also makes managing documents much easier and more efficient.
With SharePoint, you can also set up document retention policies and manage the storage capacity of your SharePoint drive, ensuring that you comply with relevant data regulations.
- Secure and reliable document storage
- Easy-to-use interface
- Customisation options for managing documents
- Ability to set up custom workflows for managing documentsIntegrates with Office 365
- Complies with data regulations
- Steep learning curve for new users
- Limited storage capacity (depending on the package)
- Requires dedicated IT support
How ‘The Excel Experts’ can help your business with Sharepoint
As specialist SharePoint consultants, we offer a full range of services to support SharePoint users and enhance your collaborations.
Some of our core SharePoint support services include:
- Configuring and setting up SharePoint software either on-site or remotely.
- Setting up Excel workbooks or Excel services to operate correctly when opened and edited via SharePoint-something that normal Excel workbooks are not designed to do.
- Setting administrator and user permissions for team members, such as read-only or full editing options.
- Creating and integrating code allows Excel services to read and write data to databases, workbooks, CSV files and SharePoint lists.
- Solving set-up and permissions problems with SharePoint and ensuring that your SharePoint software is configured and operating properly.
- Setting up either simple or complex workstreams in SharePoint that an action can trigger carried out on a spreadsheet.
- Troubleshooting and fixing common SharePoint error messages and problems to ensure that SharePoint works properly.
- Analysing and reviewing your existing SharePoint protocols will help you streamline your operations and ensure that SharePoint does what you need, saving your company time and money.
These are just a few ways we can help with SharePoint: Ask for a free quote to get started, or contact The Excel Experts now to learn more about our comprehensive SharePoint support service from dedicated, professional experts in the UK.
If you already use Microsoft Office 365, then you probably already have a SharePoint site you can use. If not, Microsoft 365 is not expensive.
You can store your spreadsheet on the Sharepoint site and use all of SharePoints built in features to make the document save and available. With SharePoint, you can use Excel in 2 ways:
A user can download the workbook and use it, then save it back to the SharePoint site or
a user can interact with the workbook through a browser.